We’ve been looking forward to sharing this luxurious yet functional kitchen renovation we recently completed in Baltimore, Maryland. On most Friday evenings, our client opens her Mid-century Modern home to more than 20 guests for Shabbat dinner. Needing a larger and more organized space to entertain, she came to Anne Grice Interiors to design a kitchen that is uniquely tailored to her lifestyle.
Kitchen Renovation Goals
The homeowner’s primary goal was to be able to easily and efficiently prepare meals for large dinner parties. However, it was important that the space not feel like a commercial kitchen (even though it has three dishwashers!) in order to blend with the Mid-century Modern style of the home.
Kitchen Renovation Challenges
The biggest challenge was fitting all of the clients needs into the existing space. Initially, the client only wanted to expand the kitchen by a few feet. After prioritizing her ‘must-haves’, she agreed to incorporate an underutilized adjacent area in order to increase the size of the kitchen by 150%.
Kitchen Renovation Design Solutions
The remodeled kitchen meets all of the client’s functional requirements while maintaining a “pretty, not handsome” style. Some of the design solutions we incorporated include:
- Designated space for everything, including the client’s vast collection of china and serving pieces
- Vertical pantry designed specifically for food storage containers
- Cabinetry, countertops and flooring that blend seamlessly with the rest of the home
- Accents, such as the backsplash and island light fixture, that add feminine elements and a touch of glamour
- Appliances that integrate into the design while still meeting the demands of entertaining large groups
We hope this kitchen renovation inspires you to redesign and refresh your home to better suit your lifestyle. It is an example of how thoughtful design solves problems while celebrating the good things in life.