We love banquettes! Built-in benches, also known as banquettes, are one of our favorite space-saving tricks for maximizing function in the dining room. Banquettes not only use space efficiently by providing a large amount of seating in a small area, but they are inviting, comfortable and multifunctional. They encourage lingering over a casual meal, working on a laptop, spreading out projects, playing games, or reading the morning paper with a hot cup of coffee.
Below are a few examples from our portfolio which illustrate that banquettes are versatile enough to be included in any style of home. They fit especially well in a modern or contemporary style and reduce the cluttered look of so many chairs. The fabric adds warmth, texture and pattern to the space. Placed wall to wall, they help create an integrated design.
Get the Look
If you’re looking for an easy and cost-effective way to add extra seating to your kitchen, banquettes are a versatile way to utilize space without foregoing comfort, function, or elegance. Here are some of our tips for getting it right:
- Make sure the seat back is slanted at least 3″ from top to bottom.
- The seat depth needs to be 18″ minimum with a comfortable seat height of 18-19″.
- Faux leather or leather seats allow you to easily slide in (plus, faux leather doesn’t stain!).
- Make sure the table has some sort of pedestal base that remains stable but doesn’t interfere with entering and exiting (i.e. no parsons style tables!).
- The seating should be wider than the table to include a slider.
Want more banquette inspiration? Contact us. Anne Grice Interiors is eager to show you the possibilities!